Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Portrait sketch using INKtense pencils from Derwent



Today I woke up to a cloudy sky. Half of the light intensity I was expecting to see when I opened my eyes. I was tired after fighting with allergy symptoms last night that caught me up until about 3 AM in the morning. Not long after, the rain started. Clean and kinda cold air. After my husband went out for work, I said to myself that it's time to get up and do something that I really love. So I took one of my art journals and an INKtense pencil and started to draw a face. I chose to use Derwent pencils because they cannot be erased with the eraser, so I won't be tempted to go back and erase the face and start over. If I'm going to mix it up, I'll just have to move on and see if I can continue or add some gesso to cover it.


This is what I came up with after 10 minutes. I really love to sketch with colored pencils, especially if they are watercolor: when adding water, the color will blend with the area right next and the effect is gorgeous! And because I absolutely love colorful pages, I decided that I should go for some color and added all kind of INKtense colors on her face. 


Yeah, this reminds me of Fauvist style, a style that I'm drawn by a lot, and I see beautiful results even with watercolor (ink) pencils, not only with acrylics or oils. 
At this point, I wasn't sure I want to add any water to it, she was already looking stunning. But you know me, I have to go beyond my comfort zone and try something new every day, so I went ahead and added water. 



And boom! the result was amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes how gorgeous she turned out! Oh, wait, I do believe it! :)

I worked on a sketching art journal paper, so the pages are not quite suitable for watercolor, but hey, after bending a little, the page came to it's original shape in the end. And this is just a watercolor sketch, but it's one that looks amazing! That's only a reminder that i should sketch faces more often, no matter if it's watercolor, acrylics or oil pastels.

What do you think of her? I would like to read your thoughts in the comments below!

See you soon,
Cristina

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow Cristina....stunning work...she has really come alive under your creative hands.......thank you for stopping by my blog....you are beyond delightful...I am so happy tp have met you...Yay instagram..you are my kindred spirit..truly. Tight hugs...will try to do a sketch tonight inspired by yours...will share later on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your art can also be stunning, dear Chelsea! I am the lucky one to have met you and other fantastic artists from all over the world! Indeed, Instagram is one inspiring place for all of us.
      If you try that sketch, please be sure to tag me so I can see it right away! I am very curious about the result, just make sure you keep it loose and don't stress too much over it! ;) You'll spoil all the fun!

      Tight hugs right back to you, Chelsea!
      Much love,
      Cristinaa

      Delete

Wanna share a beautiful thought with me? Drop a line below and let me know what's on your mind!